Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Album Review: Foo Fighters and "Wasting Light"

I never listened to the Foo Fighters until Beloved introduced me to them. We've been listening to them for about six weeks now, whenever Beloved surreptitiously turns off NPR and gins them up. I like them. I usually don't get the lyrics, and I don't like the slasher stuff, but everything else, I like. So here's my review of their latest, "Wasting Light." Take it for what it's worth.

It's been a long time since I listened to an album all the way through, and we have listened to this one quite a few times.

The bad: I think "Rope" is derivative (and quickly gets irritating) and the techno version of the same is even worse. There is also one that I would call "slasher" sound that I don’t care for.  Finally, I am a fan of false endings for songs, but they need to get a little more disciplined about how often they use it, especially if they're just going to repeat the refrain again. Why don't they false-end and then do a last verse once in awhile? You can't pull that shit out too often.

The good: almost all of the songs, I like. My favorites: Arlandria, These Days, I Should Have Known. The absolute best song (in my view): Walk. If you download one song, make it this one. This is the kind of gut-punching, dance-inducing, fuck-you-death, head-banging sound that makes you remember why you like rock. And the lyrics remind you how good it is to be alive, and how good it feels (sometimes) to rage against what you can never change. Makes me think I might have one more visit to a mosh pit in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment