Friday, January 27, 2012

Shout-Out: Comfort One Shoes

I gotta give it up for Comfort One Shoes. I've shopped there several times, and have almost always come away successful.


Their shoes are on the pricey end, but they are made—as their name implies—for comfort. As you can imagine, with all the walking I do, I am very very very interested (obsessed?) about shoes. How they fit, how they feel, and most of all, how much walking can I do in them before my feet start hurting? Also, I want them to look cute, if possible.

I recently bought two pairs of footwear: knee-high boots and a pair of black flats. Last night I bought a pair of knee-high boots and a pair of black flats. I'm ashamed to say that the boots are the third pair I bought this winter, in search of something that would not tear up my feet and make them hurt. The flats are just the second. I already said I was ashamed, what do you want from me?? And once I find a pair that fit/wear well, I keep them forever. My previous pair of flats lasted me for two years, and I wore them almost every day. Boots were the same.

Anyway, I digress. I walked into Comfort One and told the salesperson exactly what I was looking for in a boot: I walk 3 miles a day at a minimum; I need them knee-high; they can't be lined (I work up too much heat while walking and then get overheated if they're lined); they need to have structure; they need a soft footbed (pounding the pavement); they need to be soft; they need to be black; they need to be lightweight; they need to have traction on the bottom; they need to be not-old-lady. Bless her, she didn't run away, but instead went into the back and brought out a bunch of boots. After an hour, I settled on the pair that would be mine. Then I asked her if she had the strength to help me find a pair of flats.  I was delighted when she said enthusiastically, "yes!"

When we parted two hours after we first met, it was with tenderness: me with my two pairs of footwear, she with her commission and a job well done. It took almost two hours, yes. But these are my feet. I took the short cuts (online shopping for the flats, fast purchase before seeing "The Muppet Movie" [which was awesome!]), and it didn't work. I need to take care of my feet because without them, I can go nowhere. And neither can you, so mark ye well these words…

My main point (believe it or not) is this: if you are interested in keeping your feet healthy and you want footwear that looks slightly cute, too, try Comfort One Shoes. If you're in DC, check out the 1630 Connecticut Ave., NW location. Ask for Ruth.

No comments:

Post a Comment