Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Book Opinion: Wolf Hall

So I took the opportunity this rainy weekend to pretend it was winter and sit in for the better part of both days and finish Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Sometimes, when I like a book, I stretch out the ending. I should just finish it off, cut the chord! But sometimes it's hard. Especially when it's good shit like this.

I liked this book, even though it brought with it some challenges. Some background: the action takes place in Henry VIII's court during the time King Henry is trying to wrangle an annulment out of the Pope. He wants his marriage to Katherine nullified so he is free to marry Anne Boelyn. We see all the action through the eyes of Thomas Cromwell.

The challenge in this book is primarily one of provenance. First of all, there were WAY too many Thomas's back in the day, leading me to often wonder, "well, NOW who's talking?" Second of all, there are WAY too many people floating around Henry's court, leading me to often wonder, "who's this? What's he got to do with anything?" And finally, are the characters even talking when I think they are? Or are they just thinking these things? The writing style doesn't always make this clear. Even so, my friends, EVEN SO, this is some good, atmospheric shit. Vastly different characters are presented in a pretty singular way, so keeping track of exactly which Duke is which isn't a preoccupation. I really felt the fullness of flavor (if you will) of the times.

By the by, I picked this book up at Powell's bookstore in Portland, Oregon, when I was there visiting my beautiful friend and her family. I'm not sure I would have picked it up here, where I live, because part of the reason I chose it was because I knew it would take me to another world--funny how often when I'm traveling that feeling of wanting more travel seizes me.


No comments:

Post a Comment