Friday, February 3, 2012

Fare Thee Well

Today is the "last day" of a colleague I like and respect. He's leaving for another opportunity. He does an enormous amount of excellent work, and he's so personable that it makes everyone else turn up their cheeriness and affability.

It's sad. The whole department will miss him. But I have a feeling that in the coming weeks, the person who will miss him the most is my boss, who will be looking to the rest of us to pick up the pieces.

In the mornings, sometimes I take a bus to the metro station. If I take the earlier bus, a little boy and his mother get on two stops up. The little boy is about 3, I think. When he gets to his seat, he kneels on the seat,  faces the window, takes a deep breath, and then hollers "BYE!!!" at the top of his lungs out the window. I don't know who he's yelling to, but I know he feels the "goodbye" deeply. It's agonized but also cheery.

So, in honor of that little boy and of my colleague and friend:  BYE! Fare thee well! Keep in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment