Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Political Season

Disclaimer: in the past I have voted for both Republicans and Democrats. In my recent past, my votes have been for Democrats.

I am loving this political season. When I was growing up, we always watched all the State of the Union addresses, debates, and, of course, the election returns (which were all you could watch, back in the day). We are an opinionated crew, and arguing over politics is something I remember my family doing as far back as I can remember.

Some of my fondest memories are attached to State of the Union (SOTU) addresses. I love them, because they're always positive and upbeat. No matter who is president, almost everything that's proposed, I agree with. Raise education standards? Ensure a better tomorrow for our children? Protect the environment while promoting jobs? It all sounds good to me.Where do I sign?

My sister "Chris" and I used to play a game when we watched the SOTU addresses. We would call out the names of politicians and Supreme Court justices for points. We weren't that good, and so we instituted a rule that every time the camera panned the gallery and then back to the President, we could reclaim the Speaker of the House and the Vice President—it was just a matter of speed. My dad, lounging in his recliner, would laugh and holler at us (good-naturedly) to "pipe down, some of us are trying to listen."

When Beloved and I sat down for our first SOTU together, I told him about the game I used to play with Chris, and asked if he wanted to play. I was absolutely certain I would beat him bloody—I'm far more schooled in who is who in the city I now live in. He agreed, and I licked my chops.

I knew it would be no blow-out for me when he started identifying the Joint Chiefs of Staff by name. I briefly gained the upper hand with the Supreme Court Justices, but quickly fell under the wheels of his superior knowledge. When I asked him how he knew so many congresspeople by name, he replied, dryly, "I read the paper."

As if I don't! <head shake, head shake>

During the last primary season, the Republican side was settled relatively early, but on the Democratic side, it was Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama battling it out for the nomination. As a Democrat, I was in agony—A-G-O-N-Y. I went back home to Chicago(land) to visit my family, and at one point a group of us went to Dairy Queen. In the parking lot, my brother "Andy" (same brother of the "obviously not, obviously not!" incident) and I got into a heated exchange on whether Hillary Clinton should drop out of the primary race and allow Barack Obama to take the nomination. I was a Hillary supporter and thought she should stay in; he was a Barack supporter. And when I write "heated," I mean yelling at the top of our lungs, lots of arm gestures, the works—right there, in the parking lot! The rest of the group went into the shop, leaving us to wrestle with our madness. When we eventually reached some sort of fragile détente, we went into DQ quite companionably. "Wow," the kid behind the counter said, "you guys were really going at it." We laughed and got our ice cream.

"That," my sister Chris announced when we got to the table, "was embarrassing." We laughed again—in embarrassment. When my niece asked why we got so mad, we waxed on about how we each thought we knew who would best serve our country's interests, etc., and how it was important to talk about the leaders of our country...and were able to get in a few shots such as, "and also, your father is crazy, we all know that, so his judgment is highly suspect." 

But that's what it comes down to, these high feelings about politics: you've considered, you've judged, and you wish desperately to persuade, because it's what's good for the country. You think.

Long story short: I feel keenly for my Republican family members and friends. It's an excruciating time, trying to find which candidate best reflects your values. For my part, it is a happy time. I watch, I consider. I make bets with Beloved on who will win, and we talk extensively about what's happening and why. I'm calm and relaxed. Easy-breezy, lemon-squeezy, my friends. 

But my time is coming: first, when the nomination is settled and he goes head-to-head against Obama. And next, in about three years from now, when the Democrats start their primary fight.

I wouldn't have it any other way, though.

****


Update: this is an email from one of my sisters. When I say we get into it about politics, I mean we mince no words. Strong language follows. Repeatedly. And while this is about the Republicans, the Republicans in my family are just as "colorful" when describing Democrats. And this particular sister has voted for both Repubs and Dems.

"I'm getting to despise Romney already. He's already claiming that Obama will be spiteful and will run the most vitriolic campaign in the history of the world. Give me a fucking break - like he can fucking talk after his shitstorm against Gingrich."

No comments:

Post a Comment