Monday, March 21, 2011

Sad: Hazel Rowley Died


I was very sad to read that the wonderful biographer Hazel Rowley recently died. I came to know her through the book Tete-a-Tete: Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre, which was utterly engrossing.

I was thrilled to hear she wrote a biography of Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt, specifically focusing on their marriage. I had read (and very much enjoyed) No Ordinary Time, by Doris Kearns Goodwin, several years ago. I thought the Kearns-Goodwin book was an excellent introduction to how Eleanor and Franklin worked together, and looked forward to the insights Rowley uncovered about their unique partnership. I was so excited, in fact, that I bought two copies of the Roosevelt biography: one for me, and one for a friend as a Christmas present.

It seems she died after a series of strokes following an undiagnosed infection.

Sad.


No comments:

Post a Comment